Fingerspelling…Why is it Tough to Understand?
Many people have a difficult time understanding fingerspelling. If you are feeling frustrated with fingerspelling, you’re not alone.
Here are some tips when reading fingerspelling:
- Try and catch the first letter and last letter of the word
- Use context clues to help narrow the word possibilities
- DO NOT PANIC when you see the person you are talking with fingerspell
- Ask the person you are conversing with to slow down his or her fingerspelled word
- Ask the person to repeat the fingerspelled word
The more you interact with the Deaf community, the better you will be able to sign and understand fingerspelling.